Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Book Review: The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland In A Ship Of Her Own Making

I have found a wonderful author called Catherynne M. Valente via a novel called "The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in A Ship of Her Own Making". You can read my review below as well as find the link to the book trailer on Youtube.


The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1) The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I have often dismissed the old adage of "never judge a book by its cover" and found some wonderful books as a result. I figure that a book with a beautifully designed cover has a level of care in its production that has filtered through from the writing. This is not an infallible method of choice by any means, as sometimes beautiful artwork is accompanied by text that is vacuous. But as I am inspired by aesthetics this is not often an insurmountable problem.


What about judging a book by its title? For this was the main reason I began to read "The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland In A Ship Of Her Own Making". I had not even seen the cover before I decided that I must read this story. There were too many questions running through my mind that needed answering – how did the girl arrive in Fairyland? Why did she need to sail around it? How does a girl go about building her own ship?


As soon as I began reading the first sentences, I knew I was in for a treat. Catherynne M. Valente has a particularly lovely way of writing that borders on poetic. She has a knack for describing and pointing the reader's attention to little details that immerse you into the wonderful world of September.


September. What a name for our heroine. The characters have the most imaginative names and I can just see the fun the author had in coming up with them. A Through L, Wyveraries (a cross between a wyvern and a library), the witches Hello and Goodbye.


When the opportunity knocks at September's window (literally) to fly away from her dull life in Omaha, she does not hesitate. If this scenario sounds familiar, you will find that there are many nods to classic tales in mentions of magical wardrobes and tornadoes.

In Fairyland, September travels over seas, through lands of cloth, Autumn forests, and islands of antiques that come to life after 100 years. She picks up a few companions along the way who help her and become friends for whom she will risk all.


Whilst the story comes to a resolution, there are many questions left unanswered. I very much look forward to a sequel following September on her adventures again. Reading this book was like being wrapped in a soft blanket while nibbling lemon scones on an autumn afternoon. I know that's a very synesthetic description but when you read the story you will understand what I mean.



View all my reviews


Book Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment